It is worth a read but I have lost the link to Jonathan Gunson articles so if you fail to reach him do go to his tweet page.
This was my answer to his request for info
I awoke to your e.mail and promptly read dear Roger's article. Thanks I found it strangely comforting. He is right about agents. When working as a playwright I eventually found an agent. By then I realised I was to achieve little by her presence in my life beyond the ability of putting her name to my letter head. It made some superior 'nose in the air' theatre people say in their superior voices, 'Oh, you've got an agent!' as if that was a sign that I was one degree above scum.
I became my own agent and today use my brother as my advisor and he shields me from unwanted phone calls, reads any mail I am unsure of, and talks over ideas etc.
I am nowadays e.published by VDU Publishing in Glasgow. I have never paid for publication. There I have the amazing use of an editor assigned to my work and who is consistent and helpful in the kindest possible way., I never dream of being a world wide name, but through Twitter and Facebook I have spread my name further than I ever imagined.
- My theory about fame is biblical - a prophet is always without honour in his own country.
- I worked hard at choosing a theme that is particular to myself - Old Age [74 in january]
- The worst challenge for me was being dyslexic - the spelling variety - I still get pulled over the coals about it. It hurts but I have to take it on the chin.
- I promote e.books because they are frequently cheaper
- I promote e.books because when my eyes fail I can instantly enlarge the font
- I promote e.books because it is a consistant weight in my hands and the light on the screen means I can read easily in bed.
- As a former craft teacher I drifted into theatre through costume making and teaching vocal dexterity to youngsters who wanted to act but were vocally handicapped in some way.
- I don't try to be too clever in my story lines.
- I do write about what I know even when in Nicer in NICE I write of a conman who is a rapist. Somethings are best left unsaid to those you love.
- 13 years in a Sheltered housing complex because of disability taught me a great deal about the truth 'You are in old age what you were in your youth!' Bullying children become bullies in old age, I had learnt to be scared as a child and find I am still scared when confronting bullies. my brother rescued me and took me into his care when he retired. I now live happily with him and write most of the day. It doesn't matter whether it sells, but I do hope that it says something to the few who will read it.
- You can cope if you realise that most people in the world never read, so ordinary silly books like mine are as good as a comic to them.
- I have no grandiose ideas about the value of what i write - I think I am a disappointment to my editor.
Hope this is of some use to Roger - do encourage him, he always comes across on Twitter as a nice person.
We only have the gifts time, life and maybe God has given us - writing is one of them - so I use it.
Do let me know how things are for you.